Friday, March 06, 2009
1. Space... full of debris.
2. Several months and multiple trailers in and I'm still not feeling Chris Pine as Kirk. It's not like the role requires gravitas or anything - just someone whose features and name I could remember ten minutes later.
3. I'm really digging the oversaturated white of the set. It's a really cool aesthetic but I'm curious as to how it will contrast will all of the other "space grit" we see in the trailer.
4. Eric Bana: he feels much too good for the material here. From the looks of things he's going to be a tatted-up Khan.
5. Seriously... Eric Bana. The man was awesome in Chopper.
6. The trailer seems to be going for a character (lots of V.O. about Kirk living up to his dad's rep)** and action-based (lots of ships zooming in, out, and around debris) thing without bothering to touch on the story. Having watched it, I have no idea what the movie will be about.
7. The lack of Simon Pegg is disappointing. For real, I'd watch a Simon Pegg-as-Scotty space comedy over this.
8. You know what this reminds me of? Starship Troopers without the irony.
* Okay, I've seen all of the movies and watched the shows. But it's not like I know any of the episode titles... and I could only stick with Enterprise for like, ten minutes.
**Seriously, this is the characterization they're going for? Trite daddy issues to sell it to the under-15 set?